Current:Home > MarketsTradeEdge-Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -RiskWatch
TradeEdge-Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Rekubit View
Date:2025-04-06 13:04:24
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have TradeEdgeagain been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (44142)
Related
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Prince Harry, in U.K. court for phone hacking trial, blasts utterly vile actions of British tabloids
- North Korea says first spy satellite crashes into sea after launch, admits failure
- U.S., Mexico ask WHO for emergency declaration over deadly fungal outbreak
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Top-Rated Tinted Sunscreens To Achieve That “Your Skin, but Better” Look Along With Your SPF
- Plane door opened minutes before landing, leading to immediate arrest of passenger in South Korea
- Turkey's President Erdogan wins runoff election, set to remain in power until 2028
- SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
- Vanderpump Rules' Raquel Leviss' Restraining Order Against Scheana Shay Officially Dropped
Ranking
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- Shop the Modern Picnic Luncher Bag, Your New Commute BFF
- Why the Pearlcore Trend Is About To Be Everywhere & How To Make It Your Own
- Scientists claim remarkable evidence that ancient human relatives buried their dead 240,000 years ago
- Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
- CIA Director William Burns secretly met with Chinese counterpart in Beijing last month
- See Jennifer Aniston’s Relatable Reaction to Learning Friends Co-Star Cole Sprouse Is 30 Years Old
- Debate over possible Putin visit heats up in South Africa amid U.S. concern over BRICS intentions
Recommendation
North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
China declines invitation to meet with U.S. Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin
Jersey Shore's Mike The Situation Sorrentino Gets Real About Expanding His Big Italian Family
Missing 73 years, Medal of Honor recipient's remains returned to Georgia: He's home
What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
Grateful Ryan Seacrest Admits He's Looking Forward to Live With Kelly and Ryan Departure
Tearful Jason Ritter Shares Why He Didn’t Think He Deserved Wife Melanie Lynskey
Ridiculousness Reveals Star-Studded Lineup of Guest Hosts After Chanel West Coast's Exit